[rrd-users] Printing tabs onto graphs (feature request)

Michael Reynolds wshs at delinked.us
Thu Jan 1 10:24:35 MET 2004

I currently store average/max/current onto the graph, since it's easier
to just save a graph to disk instead of when the values are printed on
the page.  I'm having a problem getting it to align correctly when
there's multiple datasets which are on the same graph.  For example, I
have a graph which measures bandwidth, in, out, harmful icmp, and
invalid ip protocols, in bytes per second.  I tried to align using a
tab, but it appears the tab character is outright ignored.  I
essentially wish to make a table of some sort.  Here's what I have going
now:

In:       Current: 0.00B/s  Average: 0.00B/s  Max: 0.00B/s
Out:      Current: 0.00B/s  Average: 0.00B/s  Max: 0.00B/s
ICMP:     Current: 0.00B/s  Average: 0.00B/s  Max: 0.00B/s
Invalid:  Current: 0.00B/s  Average: 0.00B/s  Max: 0.00B/s

Unfortunately, the numbers aren't always the same, or even have the same
length in characters.  I'd like to see a \t or something to that effect
added in, similar to \j, \c, etc, but with a difference.  The existing
'modifiers' cause the line to end.  The \t should just act as a tab, to
align to a specific amount of pixels, depending on the end alignment
choice (left/right).  I would make the changes myself, but I do not know
the rrdtool code enough to trust myself to change it.  If any other
user, or Tobi himself, can do this, I'd greatly appreciate it, and I'd
bet there would be others who would find this 'feature' useful.