[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool and network interfaces

Lorin Scraba lorins at assist.ro
Mon Jan 19 07:30:37 MET 2004

On Monday 19 January 2004 02:25, David Cannings wrote:
Hi there,
iptables -L -v -x -n | grep eth0 | awk ....  > eth0.log
iptables -Z

  You have to activate accounting on the interface:
iptables -A INPUT -i eth0
iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth0
	You could also set up counters for various combinations ip/interface,
srcip/dstip etc.
Hope i helped.

> Hi,
>
> I've used rrdtool before to create stats on my network interfaces but, as
> all the machines I generate data for reboot quite regularly (desktops,
> test machines, broken things, etc), I get alot of spikes on my graphs.
> All are running Linux, either 2.4.24 or 2.6.
>
> I'm looking for the simplest way to graph network usage on these machines
> without having to worry about manually correcting these spikes.  One way
> I thought would be simple would be to have some sort of utility/daemon
> that counts packets on interfaces that can reset the count when queried
> (ie when the rrd update script is run).  This way I could use a
> GAUGE/ABSOLUTE instead of a COUNTER.  I believe I could still get
> packets/sec and bytes/sec (averaged over 5 minutes, of course) from this,
> but please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Up until now, I've grabbed information from the output of ifconfig/netstat
> -i but this quite obviously can't be reset (and I'd rather avoid
> resetting these, too).  I guess running an SNMP daemon on the host would
> suffer the same issues as the counts would reset when restarted.
>
> Are there any simple ways of doing what I'm trying to?  Or should I just
> use a COUNTER and live with the overflows?  Graphing data such as
> temperature seems to be easy, I just can't figure out this.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David
>
> --

Lorin Scraba - Customer Service