[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool and network interfaces

David Cannings lists at edeca.net
Mon Jan 19 18:45:55 MET 2004

On Monday 19 January 2004 6:30 am, Lorin Scraba wrote:
> On Monday 19 January 2004 02:25, David Cannings wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've used rrdtool before to create stats on my network interfaces
> > but, as all the machines I generate data for reboot quite regularly
> > (desktops, test machines, broken things, etc), I get alot of spikes
> > on my graphs. All are running Linux, either 2.4.24 or 2.6.
> >
> > I'm looking for the simplest way to graph network usage on these
> > machines without having to worry about manually correcting these
> > spikes.  One way I thought would be simple would be to have some sort
> > of utility/daemon that counts packets on interfaces that can reset
> > the count when queried (ie when the rrd update script is run).  This
> > way I could use a GAUGE/ABSOLUTE instead of a COUNTER.  I believe I
> > could still get packets/sec and bytes/sec (averaged over 5 minutes,
> > of course) from this, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
[snip]
> > Are there any simple ways of doing what I'm trying to?  Or should I
> > just use a COUNTER and live with the overflows?  Graphing data such
> > as temperature seems to be easy, I just can't figure out this.

> Hi there,
> iptables -L -v -x -n | grep eth0 | awk ....  > eth0.log
> iptables -Z
>
>   You have to activate accounting on the interface:
> iptables -A INPUT -i eth0
> iptables -A OUTPUT -o eth0
> 	You could also set up counters for various combinations ip/interface,
> srcip/dstip etc.

This is a good idea, thank you.  I'm just figuring out the nicest way to
do it as I don't want to loose all packet counters.  To get around this
issue, I've created a chain called COUNTER which I can reset with -Z when
I've finished with the numbers.

As you say, this will also mean I can graph statistics for specific ports
(for example, HTTP).  Again, this is a good example of iptables/rrdtool
interaction and could be very useful for me.

David
david [at] edeca [dot] net