[rrd-users] Finding time for latest primary data point

Anders Nygren anders_nygren2002 at yahoo.se
Thu Jan 29 02:46:04 MET 2004

Hi,
I remember that there where some posts recently about how to
find the time for the latest completed primary data point and getting
the value for that pdp for threshold checking.
But now I can't find the posts, does anyone remember this thread?

What I am planning to do is
1, "normal" data collection, and storing the data in rrdtool
2, a separate process that periodically, (after the update), gets the
latest values from rrdtool and does threshold checks for generating
alarms.

I think that it is enough to do the following
after an rrdtool update, I make

rrdtool report <file> <CF> --resolution <R> --start <T> --end <T>
where <T> is the most recent time that is an integer multiple of <R>.

If I get NaN I know that there is not enough data for the interval.

Are there any reasons that this will NOT work?

/Anders Nygren