[rrd-users] Re: Network downtime or uptime

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Jan 29 09:11:17 MET 2004

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 04:33:37PM -0800, Joubin Moshrefzadeh wrote:
> Ok, here's a question... I've seen all sorts of applications of MRTG and RRDtool to keep track of traffic patterns, but no mention of actual network downtime or uptime.

I think I've seen it mentioned.  Can't remember when.

> Perhaps this isn't as big a deal to most users, I don't know. But anyway, my boss would like some stats to show our overall campus networks health/connectivity rates... anyone tried to gather this kind of stats using RRDtool and if so, would you like to share your approach?
>
> I have a crude approach:
> 1. do an snmpget on a switch
> 2. based on the response, increment an uptime or downtime counter (both are DS in an rrd)
> 3. generate graphs showing downtime (percentage) and uptime

Why two counters.  Isn't uptime+downtime equal to 100% ?

How are you going to determine the amount of up- and downtime in each
polling interval?  Perhaps device uptime is the best to look at.

If you have a redundant router (or so), when do you speak of downtime?

HTH
Alex
--
begin  sig