[rrd-users] Looking for a tool to build ASCII report from RRD databases

Didier di07s at yahoo.fr
Fri Jul 2 10:02:14 MEST 2004

Looking for a tool to build ASCII report from RRD databases

Hello,

    I'm looking for a way to represents some similar NAGIOS monthly
availability reports from a tool based on RRD.
    RRD because I'm about to use Cacti to make performance measures of
network devices and services availability.

    Does anybody knows a tool that does similar things ? A tool that would
be based therefore on RRD.

    In other words, I'm looking for a way to build monthly ASCII statistics
reports from RRD.
    My idea would be :
         - select many RRD database (and data sources)
         - precise a period time for the report
         - precise one values
         - for datasource in each RRD database have ASCII reports
              - % of time (in the selected period) the data source has an
unknown value
              - % of time (in the selected period) the data source is below
the specified value
              - % of time (in the selected period) the data source is above
the specified value

    In other words, I would like to have report like that (if value is 0 or
1 for instance)

                                 %Unknown state     %Unreachable state
%Reachable
                                                                (Below value
0)              (Above value 0)
         <node1>                     20                    30
50
         <node2>                     10                    70
20
         <service1>                  30                    50
20

    Why am I asking this question ?
    I'm administering network tools in a large company. Today, I'm
administering (with difficulties because I'm alone and the large amount of
work to administer them, and I don't work only on that) HP OpenView NNM,
CiscoWorks LMS, BMC Dashboard. Because of cost reductions I have been asked
to replace Dashboard by another tool  such as Cacti. All these tools are
used by network administrators of the LANs. Today the people which are
administering the WANs are managing themselves in hidden way with Cacti and
NAGIOS. I have also been asked to take them into account. So my idea is to
manage myself to not use NAGIOS to not have another tool to manage, and
later reduce administration work, and bad use of another tool. I studied
quickly this point and I think that I can move the NAGIOS alert mechanism
(node + service) to HP OpenView NNM on which I would put  nmap  tool to test
the services. The other problem point is the  "monthly availability reports"
the WAN people use. They use it to produce monthly SLA reports by just
making a cut&paste.  My idea is to use Cacti (so I will have RRD database to
manage) to measure and make history of the network devices & services
availability (it should be simple : regarding to the result of a ping or
nmap the value will be 0 or 100). So, my remaining problem will be <<how to
make ASCII format report from these "availability" RRD database.>>.  The
solution I'm looking for must lead to have an easy way to build those ASCII
reports.
    After that I think that everything will be OK.

    Thanks a lot for any help or any suggestion

Didier