[rrd-users] Updating 1000's of rrd files

Seth Hettich shettich at gmail.com
Sun Jul 4 23:22:16 MEST 2004

So, I have a problem:

I need to collect some data from ~2,000 to 3,000 devices (perhaps more)
and put it into rrd files.  about 100 files per device.  The code to
collect all the data can run in ~2-3 min.  Also, code to update one
rrd file ~5,000 times can run in ~20 sec.

But, code to collect all the data and update the rrd files take over an hour

I assume this is due to the time to update so many files (in the test case
it's just one file over and over, so it's very fast).

I assume it would go much faster if I could put all of the data
sources for each device in one file, but new data sources will get
added all the time, and I see no way to add a DS to an rrd file.

Anyone have any ideas for how to make this work?

-Seth