[rrd-users] Re: Filling up the NaN's

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed Jul 7 02:30:43 MEST 2004

On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 11:45:31PM +0200, M. Possamai wrote:
> >Don't do it at graph time.  If you don't want unknown data, do not enter
> >unknown data.
>
> And how do you suggest I do that?

I already did.

> I don't enter anything,  the machine is down during that time so it
> automaticly gets filled
> with NaN by rrdtool.

No, it doesn't.  RRDtool is doing what you ask it to do.  If you want it
to do something different, have it do something different.

You _are_ asking for the NaNs by using a specific heartbeat (or by _your_
choice to use the default one).

> > > I just want the line to continue as soon as it finds a fresh value when
> > the
> > > system is turned on again..
> >
> >RTFM look for heartbeat.
>
> I don't think giving it a heartbeat of about 9 hours will be a good idea...

Then don't.  Find out how to do this using CDEF, get a complex
grapher script and end up with a similar result.

Heartbeat is "generating" the NaNs.  If you don't want NaNs, heartbeat
is the property to modify.

Alex
--
I ask you to respect any "Reply-To" and "Mail-Follow-Up" headers.  If
you reply to me off-list, you'd better tell me you're doing so.  If