[rrd-users] overlay vs composite

David O'Brien dobrien at naccrra.org
Mon Jul 12 20:36:16 MEST 2004

Hi,
How hard would it be to incorporate the ImageMagick "composite" feature into
rrdtool to replace the --overlay function (that I never have been able to
get to work.)

I have been generating graphs and then running them thru IM'a composite to
"pretty" them up a bit
and read on the IM pages that they have a C++ API.

Examples:
http://www.naccrraware.net/cluster/totals.php

Files used to create this graph:
cpu.exp  -  gets the info from the server (ssh & expect)
cpu.php  -  parses cpu.exp output into "n::::::" format
cpu.sh   -  updates the rrdtool db
makecpugfx.sh -  generates the graph

cpumask.png  - - PNG mask that I composite onto the image generated by
makecpugfx.sh

makecpu.sh - initialize the rrd

David G. O'Brien
Web Services Coordinator / Systems Administrator

NACCRRA
The Nation's Network of Child Care Resource & Referral
1319 F Street NW, Suite 500
Washington, DC 20004
(202) 393-5501 ext. 113
(202) 393-1109 fax