[rrd-users] Multiple TZ Support / RRA Boundaries

Andrew Bush agbush at lehman.com
Wed Jul 28 16:58:58 MEST 2004

I have reviewed the mailing list achives several times and am aware that this
topic has been discussed on a relitively regular basis however would be
grateful for a little clarification.

I am using rrdtool to collect data from multiple timezones as well as
displaying the charts back to users across the globe.  In most cases I am
multiplying the average rate datapoint by the step size to plot a total for
each interval. Being able to correctly provided daily summaries rather then an
"arbitrary" 24 hour period for each rrd is very important due to the nature of
the data.

I have figured out how to collect and display the primary points correct
however am now struggling with the consolidation (rra) points.  The various
conversations on this topic indicate that the boundaries for the
consolidations points occur at multiples from epoch UTC, however one of the
treads discussed changing this to be based on the (lovcal) start time of the
RRD file.  Was this ever implemented or still in the pipeline?

A suggested work around for this was "to create 24 CDP and update thenm every
24 hours"; appologies but can someone explain this further.

Any help you can offer in this area would be very gratefull as I am faced with
performing the daily/weekly calculations off line, something I was very much
hoping RRD would do natively for me.

Thanks
Andy

designated recipient(s) named above.  If you are not the intended recipient of
this message you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination,
communication is for information purposes only and should not be regarded as
an offer to sell or as a solicitation of an offer to buy any financial
product, an official confirmation of any transaction, or as an official
statement of Lehman Brothers.  Email transmission cannot be guaranteed to be
secure or error-free.  Therefore, we do not represent that this information is
complete or accurate and it should not be relied upon as such.  All
information is subject to change without notice.