[rrd-users] OT: Cisco ISDN call duration/number monitoring howto

Thu Mar 18 01:54:44 MET 2004

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I am writing to apologise for this off-topic letter and ask for any
pointers on monitoring ISDN usage (ie number of calls and call duration)
for Cisco routers.

It seems to me that feasable approaches are

. parsing syslog generated files (the calles forward call complete
messages to syslogd at a central site)

. using the CISCO-ISDN-MIB and polling

 CISCO-ISDN-MIB::demandNbrLastDuration
 CISCO-ISDN-MIB::demandNbrAcceptCalls

for Neigbours (Nbrs) that are allowed to call (or similar OIDs for the
callers).

The application is of course capacity planning and cost attribution:
those that are foolish enough to use on-demand ISDN calls (charged by
time) to provide bandwidth on demand may have some sympathy.

Actually, I am not sure that this sort of application is even a
candidate for RRD storage. I suppose a GAUGE value can be written each
poll cycle for 'calls completed|accepted' and likewise another GAUGE
value for call duration.

Any comments or pointers are most welcome.

Thank you,

Yours sincerely.

Stanley Hopcroft

from Meditation 17, J Donne.