[rrd-users] Re: OT: Cisco ISDN call duration/number monitoring howto

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Mar 18 10:31:27 MET 2004

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 11:54:44AM +1100, Stanley Hopcroft wrote:

> I am writing to apologise for this off-topic letter and ask for any
> pointers on monitoring ISDN usage (ie number of calls and call duration)
> for Cisco routers.

I think I have posted an article on this, on this list.

> Actually, I am not sure that this sort of application is even a
> candidate for RRD storage. I suppose a GAUGE value can be written each
> poll cycle for 'calls completed|accepted' and likewise another GAUGE
> value for call duration.

RRDtool describes the past.  When a call is setup, the previous state
of the interface was "down" i.e. zero.  When a call is finished, the
previous state was "up" i.e. one.  Using a step size of one second,
RRDtool will store the actual usage of the interface as a percentage
of time.  Do this for all interfaces and you can add up all ones, and
compare this with the total number of interfaces.

RRDtool is at its best if you monitor properties like calls per minute
(or hour, day, month), not for total number of calls period.  IMHO you
should use a normal database for that.

HTH
Alex
--