[rrd-users] Installing RRDTool from RPMs

Tim Holmes tholmes at mcaschool.net
Wed Oct 20 16:03:04 MEST 2004

Good Morning.

I am preparing to convert my MRTG Installation to RRD so that I can implement the Cacti front end or possibly Routers2.

My system is as follows

Pentium 4 HT 2.0Ghz
256mb Memory
40gb HDD

Running RedHat Enterprise workstation 3

I went out and found the Rpm for RRD tool (I think I got it from Pbone), downloaded it and then double clicked on it to install it.  It appears that nothing happened.  It didn't go through the normal routine for installing RPMs.

Next, I tried installing it from the command line, and got the following output

[root at LinuxMonitorWS Downloaded RPMs]# rpm -Uvh rrdtool-1.0.49-1.1.fc2.fr.src.rpm
   1:rrdtool                warning: user machbuild does not exist -
using root
warning: group machbuild does not exist - using root
warning: user machbuild does not exist - using root
warning: group machbuild does not exist - using root ########################################### [100%]
warning: user machbuild does not exist - using root
warning: group machbuild does not exist - using root [root at LinuxMonitorWS Downloaded RPMs]#

So I went on to try the cacti Install, and still get a dependency break on rrdtool as well as a couple other ones.

I tried Up2Date cacti, and it said that it couldn't find it, so I suspect that up2date isn't configured correctly,

I tried to have yum install it, but apparently my header file or my config file is messed up because it trys to find stuff for fedora, not Enterprise.

If someone could give me a hand, I would greatly appreciate it.

You can reply to me on the list, or at
Tholmes@<NOSPAM>mcaschool.net

Take out the <NOSPAM> tag to get through

I am also on YAHOO IM as W8TAH.

Tim Holmes

IT Manager
Medina Christian Academy, Inc.