[rrd-users] Multiple RRD, specific values

Sunil Modi (IT) smodi at bordersgroupinc.com
Thu Oct 21 17:05:04 MEST 2004

I am currently collecting VMSTAT data and want to further delve into the data.  What I want is to be able to go across multiple rrd's and pick out values that are pertinent to what I need.  What I need gets complicated.

I need to check idle time by percentages (0-20%, 20-40%, 40-60%, 80+%)
I need to count the number of occurrences per server per time slice
Then generate a graph for it.

The goal is to see CPU utilization overall; what are we doing majority of the time; sitting idle or doing too much?  Then be able to see what servers need slimming and what need a workout.

I don't know how to even begin to do this, but from what I've read, there's no way to really sort the raw data.  Using CDEF's I can link all the RRD's together (that's something I need to gather) and then extract specific data.

my ($start,$step,$names,$data) = RRDs::fetch ...
  print "Start:       ", scalar localtime($start), " ($start)\n";
  print "Step size:   $step seconds\n";
  print "DS names:    ", join (", ", @$names)."\n";
  print "Data points: ", $#$data + 1, "\n";
  print "Data:\n";
  foreach my $line (@$data) {
    print "  ", scalar localtime($start), " ($start) ";
    $start += $step;
    foreach my $val (@$line) {
	if ($val > 80)
      printf "%12.1f ", $val;