[rrd-users] Re: create a RRD with the sum of other RRDs

Warnes, Jason SktnHR jason.warnes at saskatoonhealthregion.ca
Fri Sep 24 19:09:30 MEST 2004

You should be able to graph your VLAN traffic by creating a virtual data
source with CDEF.  For example, lets say that you have these RRD files:

port6.rrd (for port 6)
port7.rrd (for port 7)
port8.rrd (for port 8)
port9.rrd (for port 9)
port10.rrd (for port 10)
port11.rrd (and for port 11)

Your DEF's when graphing probably looks something like this (ignore the MAX
part, you may be using a different consolidation fuction):

DEF:port6_in=port6.rrd:in:MAX
DEF:port7_in=port7.rrd:in:MAX
DEF:port8_in=port8.rrd:in:MAX
DEF:port9_in=port9.rrd:in:MAX
DEF:port10_in=port10.rrd:in:MAX
DEF:port11_in=port11.rrd:in:MAX

Now what you can do is create a virtual data source which sums all the port
"in" stats like this:

CDEF:vlan1_in=port6_in,port7_in,+,port8_in,+,port9_in,+,port10_in,+,port11_i
n,+

Then just graph that CDEF and you're done.  The CDEF data source uses
Reverse Polish Notation (RPN) math, so that's why it may look a little
strange.

Hope this helps.

Jason...