[rrd-users] Re: Windows 2003 and rrdcgi

Yurek, Matt matt.yurek at webloyalty.com
Fri Apr 8 18:17:46 MEST 2005

> I found lots of issues with all
> sorts of CGI's that have stopped working on IIS6, there wasn't much in
> the way of possible fixes....

On the contrary, I have yet to find a CGI that I couldn't get to work on
IIS6.  The issues you speak of are most likely related to the
Application Pools, Permissions, and Group Policy entries.

1.  Create an application group specifically for the website or virtual
directory that your CGIs will run in.  Create a local or domain user
specifically for this application group.  Basic user permissions will be
fine - no need for Administrator.

2.  Assign the user you created to the application group, and assign the
application group to the website or virtual directory.

3.  Open the gpedit.msc policy editor and make sure the user has the
following rights:  Log on as a service, Impersonate a client after
authentication, Allow log on locally

4.  Make sure that the user account you created has at least modify NTFS
rights on the directory your GCI will run from.

5.  Verify that you have created a group and have set allow permissions
properly on the Web Service Extentions manager.

6.  Verify that your website / virtual directory has properly configured
ISAPI application extentions.

As I've said, I've yet to find a CGI that I can't get working, it's just
a matter of un-doing all the security that W2K3 put in place.  Trust me,
it's a good thing.

-Y