[rrd-users] Re: Looking for scripts to feed rrd

Mark Duling mark.duling at biola.edu
Thu Aug 11 07:39:26 MEST 2005

Timothy Murphy <tim at birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie> on Wednesday, August 10, 2005
at 3:22 PM -0800 wrote:
>I'm a newbie rrd user,
>and am wondering if there is a collection of scripts somewhere
>allowing rrd to be used to show eg network usage, cpu usage, etc.
>
>I'd really like something that tells me _exactly_ what to do -
>the rrd documentation I have seen generally leaves too many gaps
>for my limited knowledge to fill in.

What you need for this is a good RRDtool front-end that uses SNMP.  I use
NRG http://nrg.hep.wisc.edu/.  All you do is install RRDtool, then NRG,
then put metaconfiguration strings for the data/devices to be graphed in
NRG's metaconfiguration file.  So you don't need to know anything about
RRDtool to make graphs of network usage, etc though you may need to know
how to make custom NRG graphs for non-standard devices.  NRG port packages
exist for FreeBSD and OS X; I don't know about others but manual install
isn't difficult either.  There's a HOWTO for OS X that, except for
installation, would apply to any Unix platform to get you going quick.
http://homepage.mac.com/duling/halfdozen/NRG-Howto-p1.html

Mark