[rrd-users] Re: Prob with RRDTool

Marc Haber mh+rrd-users at zugschlus.de
Fri Aug 19 09:41:35 MEST 2005

Hi,

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 09:11:16PM -0700, Evan Platt wrote:
> As far as I can tell, you need to create a rrd file with rrdtool
> create. I don't quite get a lot of the paramaters, so I was wondering
> if someone has common examples of the more pouplar things people
> would monitor - in my case, MRTG for a DSL line, postfix (mail in /
> out), and spamassassin scores?

There is a truckload of tools available that all use rrdtool to graph
stuff. Most probably, your problem is already solved in one of these
tools.

munin does quite a lot of local statistics, and can be easily
extended. I'd recommend investigating munin.

If you insist in doing the rrd stuff yourself, man rrdtutorial is
excellent and is a big help in climbing the learning curve to actually
understand the man pages. Also, the rrdtool distribution has a few
code examples.

Greetings
Marc