[rrd-users] Re: Adding a new ds to an existing rrd

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Fri Aug 19 15:15:06 MEST 2005

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 02:10:55PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:

> > You can do this yourself, or use one of the many scripts available
> > on the web.
>
> I was hoping to spare myself the work to learn how to use xslt.

I think I could produce a script using sed if I had to.  It is not
that complicated.

> > This doesn't happen that often.  Many people don't need to add (or
> > remove) a DS.  It's not that often that a third direction is added
> > to an ethernet card, usually "in" and "out" are enough.  When you
> > add an ethernet card to a computer, just use an extra rrd file.
>
> Well, if you think that rrdtool is only useful to plot in/out for
> ethernet interfaces, you are using like 2 % of what rrdtool can do. In

I didn't say that.  I was just pointing out that the most common use
of rrdtool doesn't need adding and removing of DSes.  I also consider
making coffee very useful but that doesn't mean I think RRDtool should
be able to do that.  I'm semi-serious here.

> fact, even something as simple as an ethernet card gives much more
> more data then just input/output octets.

Yeah, but why does it have to be in the same RRD ?

> > Maybe you are asking the wrong question and maybe you don't need
> > to add a ds to a rrd file.  Maybe you just want to collect more
> > data and are looking for a way to store that data ?
>
> I have been using the Debian packages for rrfw/torrus since they first
> became available in the experimental distribution. One of the
> preliminary versions I have been using productivly didn't properly
> create the DS for ifInDiscards, while the current version properly
> reads the value from the Interface and tries to write it to the rrd,
> which of course fails.

That sounds like a good reason to modify the RRD.  You want to repair
it, not extend it.  I'm glad I made use of the word "maybe".

Alex