[rrd-users] Re: Adding a new ds to an existing rrd

Marc Haber mh+rrd-users at zugschlus.de
Fri Aug 26 17:18:44 MEST 2005

On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 03:15:06PM +0200, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 19, 2005 at 02:10:55PM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
> > > You can do this yourself, or use one of the many scripts available
> > > on the web.
> >
> > I was hoping to spare myself the work to learn how to use xslt.
>
> I think I could produce a script using sed if I had to.  It is not
> that complicated.

Of course, but the clean way would be to use XML transformation. I
mean, we are not using XML all over the place because it's
exceptionally pretty and easy to read/write for a human.

> > I have been using the Debian packages for rrfw/torrus since they first
> > became available in the experimental distribution. One of the
> > preliminary versions I have been using productivly didn't properly
> > create the DS for ifInDiscards, while the current version properly
> > reads the value from the Interface and tries to write it to the rrd,
> > which of course fails.
>
> That sounds like a good reason to modify the RRD.  You want to repair
> it, not extend it.

Yes, right. That's the right word, but only from a higher level
perspective. From torrus' point of view, the RRD is broken, while it
is perfectly fine for RRDtool.

> I'm glad I made use of the word "maybe".

;)

Greetings
Marc