[rrd-users] Re: A couple of newbie questions

Reinhard Scheck Reinhard.Scheck at team-scheck.de
Sun Aug 21 09:47:25 MEST 2005

Rob Tanner wrote:

>Hi,
>We already make extensive use of MRTG2 to monitor network traffic, and
>after I attending Tobias's presentation on RRDTool at OSCON I decided I
>ought to give that a try as well.  For purposes of learning RRDTool, I
>decided to monitor environmental factors in two different wiring
>closets.  I'm collecting humidity and temp Celsius data and presenting
>it in a single graph and I'm  using rpn to calculate the Fahrenhiet
>value as well, and presenting all six data points on a single graph.
>What I haven't been able to figure out and/or glean from the docs is how
>to organize the legend.  I would like to organize it into meaningful
>rows and columns whereas right now it looks like a single row that wraps
>at end of line.  Is that doable?  Where do I look for more info.  Also,
>I would like to present the data so that the newest values are on the
>left, not the right hand side.  Is there something like a "growleft"
>parameter to flip the graph?  I couldn't find that in the docs either.
>
>Thanks.

I took prt of a sample graph from my cacti (rrd frontend) installation
to show how it work for me:

AREA:cdefa#00CF00:"Inbound"  \
GPRINT:cdefa:LAST:" Current\:%8.2lf %s"  \
GPRINT:cdefa:AVERAGE:"Average\:%8.2lf %s"  \
GPRINT:cdefa:MAX:"Maximum\:%8.2lf %s\n"  \
LINE1:cdefe#002A97:"Outbound"  \
GPRINT:cdefe:LAST:"Current\:%8.2lf %s"  \
GPRINT:cdefe:AVERAGE:"Average\:%8.2lf %s" \
GPRINT:cdefe:MAX:"Maximum\:%8.2lf %s\n"

This defines an Area (Inbound) with Current: nnnnnn.nn Average:
nnnnnn.nn Maximum: nnnnnn.nn Values as well as a Line (Outbound) with
same values leftbound. Both legends fill a single line of text each.

Reinhard