[rrd-users] Re: Meaning of time with gauge not well-defined in docs

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Dec 22 00:05:27 MET 2005

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 03:39:48PM -0500, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:

> RRDTool, however, seems to have quite a different idea, and this is what
> I actually got:
>
> (       ..., 1135116433]: value=1
> (1135116433, 1135116434]: value=0
> (1135116434, 1135116523]: value=1
> (1135116523, 1135116751]: value=0
>
> Basically, it appears that RRDTool's gauge type is expecting to be
> notified of the soon-to-be-obsolete state immediately before a state
> change, not the new state immediately after a state change. The rrdtool
> or rrdupdate manual should, I think, make this clearer.

Every update you make in RRDtool describes what has happened upto
that moment.  Why should GAUGE be different?

Every update results in the rate that was valid between the previous
update and the current update.  Counter,Derive,Absolute and Gauge only
differ in how this rate is determined, nothing else.

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/