[rrd-users] Re: Meaning of time with gauge not well-defined in docs

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Thu Dec 22 00:12:20 MET 2005

Hi Anthony,

your assumption is correct ... if you can suggest wording that
would make this clear to the reader I will be glad to integrate
this into the documentation pack ...

cheers
tobi

> RRDTool, however, seems to have quite a different idea, and this is what
> I actually got:
>
> (       ..., 1135116433]: value=1
> (1135116433, 1135116434]: value=0
> (1135116434, 1135116523]: value=1
> (1135116523, 1135116751]: value=0
>
> Basically, it appears that RRDTool's gauge type is expecting to be
> notified of the soon-to-be-obsolete state immediately before a state
> change, not the new state immediately after a state change. The rrdtool
> or rrdupdate manual should, I think, make this clearer.
>
> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETL F24.2, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/oetiker +41(0)44-632-5286