[rrd-users] rrdtool.so

D.Walsh info at daleenterprise.com
Sat Jan 8 08:10:57 MET 2005

I've been trying to build the apache/php module but have been
unsuccessful.

platform/environment:

Mac OSX Server 10.3.7
Apache/1.3.33
DAV/1.0.3
mod_ssl/2.8.22
OpenSSL/0.9.7b
mod_perl/1.26
PHP/4.3.10
MySQL/4.1.7

The module seems to build but doesn't appear to be recognized by PHP as
a valid module, I've included the extension in the php.ini file and
restarted the server, I have other modules in there that work so it
must be something I'm doing or not doing and the instructions don't
provide any assistance in solving the problem.

excerps from logs

PHP Warning:  Unknown(): Invalid library (maybe not a PHP library)
'rrdtool.so'  in Unknown on line 0
__________________________________

I followed the included instructions for installing as an embedded
module in php by untaring the package in php/ext folder but doing
./buildconf in the php-4.3.10 folder reported:

daleenterprise:/SourceCache/apache_mod_php/apache_mod_php-12/php-4.3.10
root# ./buildconf
You should not run buildconf in a release package.
use buildconf --force to override this check.
daleenterprise:/SourceCache/apache_mod_php/apache_mod_php-12/php-4.3.10
root#

doing it with --force resulted in:

daleenterprise:/SourceCache/apache_mod_php/apache_mod_php-12/php-4.3.10
root# ./buildconf --force
Forcing buildconf
using default Zend directory
buildconf: checking installation...
buildconf: autoconf version 2.57 (ok)
buildconf: Your version of autoconf likely contains buggy cache code.
            Running cvsclean for you.
            To avoid this, install autoconf-2.13 and automake-1.5.
buildconf: libtool version 1.5 (ok)
rebuilding main/php_config.h.in
WARNING: Using auxiliary files such as `acconfig.h', `config.h.bot'
WARNING: and `config.h.top', to define templates for `config.h.in'
WARNING: is deprecated and discouraged.

WARNING: Using the third argument of `AC_DEFINE' and
WARNING: `AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED' allows to define a template without
WARNING: `acconfig.h':

WARNING:   AC_DEFINE([NEED_MAIN], 1,
WARNING:             [Define if a function `main' is needed.])

WARNING: More sophisticated templates can also be produced, see the
WARNING: documentation.
daleenterprise:/SourceCache/apache_mod_php/apache_mod_php-12/php-4.3.10
root#

built php with the --with-rrdtool=/usr but it didn't seem to do
anything in the rrdtool folder
__________________________________

built rrdtool with:

./configure --prefix=/usr --mandir=/usr/share --sysconfdir=/etc
--enable-local-libpng --enable-local-zlib --enable-shared && make &&
make install
__________________________________

built module with:

cd contrib/php4
./configure --with-rrdtool=/usr --with-php-config=/usr/bin/php-config

Added line to php.ini

extension=rrdtool.so

restarted server and it still doesn't work.

Anyone have a working Mac solution or can provide me with a tar.gz file
of the folder from ext  and the root PHP4 source Makefile* and
Configure* files form a build that works???

If you have a working Mac module, I'd be interested in duplicating your
process to generate a module so better documentation can be
submitted/included with rrdtool.

-- Dale