[rrd-users] MAX-value differs for week/month

peter pilsl pilsl at goldfisch.at
Sun Jan 9 22:15:03 MET 2005

I want to keep my data over a longer time and I want to keep the
average-values and the max-values. So I use different RRA with AVERAGE
and MAX as CF and a different step-value

              RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:2016

	     RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:12:10000
	     RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:3650

	     RRA:MAX:0.5:12:10000
	     RRA:MAX:0.5:288:3650

Then in rrdgraph I use the MAX-CF to GPRINT the maximum value over the
viewed time. For my DEF-statement I also use the AVERAGE.

DEF:s1=myfile.rrd:sensor1:AVERAGE
GPRINT:total0:MAX: maximum %2.1lf

 From my point of view the MAX GPRINTed in the "day-view" (-s "-1day")
should not be higher than the MAX printed in the "week-view" (-s
"-1week") or the "month-view" (-s "-1month"), cause I store the
max-values in my RRD.

But it differs. The MAX in day is highest and then the week is lower and
so on. It seems that the MAX in GPRINT only takes the maximum of the
actually drawn values and not the MAX of the RRD, cause the problem does
not occure if I use MAX as CF for DEF, which is not what I want.

Is this a bug or a feature  and is there any way round?

thnx,
peter

ps: I just switched from MRTG to RRD : wow - this is just great !! thnx
to the author(s) :)

--
mag. peter pilsl
goldfisch.at