[rrd-users] how to deal with COUNTER-reset at unusual values?

peter pilsl pilsl at goldfisch.at
Sun Jan 9 22:16:58 MET 2005

I use the COUNTER-DST for monitoring the number of spam in my mails. The
data comes from analyzing a log-file that is daily rotated by the system.
So the values delivered are like
100 200 350 800 1399 1850 50 129 ....
                         ^^^^
                        logrotate here

So what happens between the 1850 and 50? According to the manpage the
COUNTER-type can deal with a counter-overflow, but it expects it at
16bit and not at an even unknown value like "a bit more then 1850". If
rrdtools asume a 16bit-boarder then it would assume a value of
2**16-1850+50=63736 for the step between 1850 and 50, which would not
look good in the graph.

How to deal with this? A possible approach would be to use a statistical
correct estimation for the overflow-point (that number of spam when
logrotation appeared). IMHO there are two possibilities: to use 1850 as
boarder (and therefore 50 as step between) or to use 1850 + the average
previous step(s) as overflow-point.
But of course this is only theory, cause I've got no idea how to
implement this ..

thnx for any idea,
peter

--