[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool 1.2.10 on OS X + Tcl bindings solved

Mark Duling mark.duling at biola.edu
Fri Jul 8 20:15:15 MEST 2005

Paul Smith <paul at blinkylights.org> on Friday, July 8, 2005 at 6:20 AM
-0800 wrote:
>Hey Mark. Have you had any luck applying what you've learned about
>the TCL bindings towards getting the Python bindings working in OSX? I
>tried for a couple of hours last weekend to get py-rrdtool to compile,
>but no joy. I'll try again this weekend - thanks for documenting your
>steps.

Hi Paul,

The following configure line will work for python installed with
DarwinPorts.  So here is the full info just for completeness.

-------------
1) Install all prerequisites with DarwinPorts: cgilib, zlib, libpng,
freetype2, libart_lgpl, Tcl, and python. (sudo port install <package-name>)

2) ./configure CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/local/include
-I/opt/local/include/libart-2.0 -I/opt/local/include/freetype2
-I/opt/local/include/libpng" LDFLAGS="-L/opt/local/lib -ltcl8.4 -lpython"
--with-tcllib=/opt/local/lib

3) make

4) make install
--------------

Or if you are using Apple's python, substitute this for the CFLAGS
parameter in the configure line above:
	LDFLAGS="-L/opt/local/lib -ltcl8.4 -L/usr/lib -lpython"

Or to use Apple's Python *and* Apple's Tcl:  (if the latter, also use
--with-tcllib=/usr/lib)
	LDFLAGS="-L/usr/lib -ltcl8.4 -lpython"

If you are using Darwinports, since DP generally requires packages that
have dependencies to install the DP version of all dependencies even if it
was included by Apple (to have a consistent environment), I'd set my
~/.bash_profile like this to set DP paths first to make sure a DP package
always gets used when there is duplication with Apple installed software.

export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/opt/local/lib/pkgconfig

Unless I run into problems I'll incorporate this addition to my
DarwinPorts rrdtool-1.2.10 Portfile when I submit it in a few days so
Python bindings will be available by default on DarwinPorts.  But don't be
surprised when the install pulls down copies of perl, Tcl, and Python in
addition to the other dependencies for the reasons I've said.

By the way, what app do you plan to use with python's rrdtool support?  Or
are you writing your own rrdtool scripts?  I don't really know what people
are doing with Python bindings in rrdtool, or Tcl bindings for that
matter, and I'm curious to know what people are doing or want to do.

Mark