[rrd-users] Re: what's the best way to poll data at a high frequency

John Barber jbarber at ingham.org
Thu Jul 28 16:30:31 MEST 2005

I'm a little concerned about network traffic and speed.
Some of my sensors are in remote locations, although they are connected with fiber.
Is polling the sensors every ten minutes going to create excessive traffic.
Is using something like wget and getting the data from the webserver going to be any faster than using SNMP?

john

John Barber wrote:

> That being said, I was wondering what is a good way to collect data to
> update an rrd if you want to update often, say every 10 seconds or so.

That's what I currently do - I collect temperature measurements every 10 seconds
and write them to an RRD database.
I have a daemon that wakes up about every 10 seconds to check the sensors, and which also
serves data and graphs over HTTP.

> That brings up another question. One of the things I am collecting data
> from is an environmental sensor that you can poll using SNMP, but it
> also has a web server that you can poll. It has one page on the web
> server that has 1 single comma delimited line that contains all the
> data.  I seems polling this might be a better way to go, but I have no
> idea how to get that string from the web server.

wget?  or libcurl or whatever it is called.

/Per Jessen, Zürich

--
http://www.spamchek.com/freetrial - managed anti-spam and anti-virus solution.
Sign up for your free 30-day trial now!