[rrd-users] Re: problems installing rrd ...

Peter Ryall Peter.Ryall at bizlink.nsw.gov.au
Tue Jun 7 03:47:01 MEST 2005

hi alex and all,

> Are you saying here that the installation didn't happen,
> although no error is shown?
yep ... that's what i'm saying. when i re-did the configure
of rrd the it hawks up on the libart library still! (and now
see below ... )

> I've seen that one myself.  Try gnu egrep.
(see below ...)

> Solaris 9, that's SunOS 5.9, right? If so:
yes.

> I have virtually no experience on solaris 9.  Yet I was able to
> compile rrdtool in a few hours, including working my way through
grrrr ... that's what EVERYONE says, yet it's taken me a couple
of days so far! 8-)

> some issues that "real" solaris admins know.  As of yet (it is
> running for a couple of days now) I didn't encounter problems.

> I didn't install the libraries in the usual locations as I am
> just a regular user of the system.  For freetype I did:
> GNUMAKE=gmake EGREP=gegrep ./configure --prefix=~/c/libs
> (and some more settings, to find 64-bit libraries)

i have installed grep from gnu and that problem has gone away!

however i still have rrd complaining that both libart and freetype
aren't installed ... and they configure, make and install
(seemingly) correctly ...

here are the comands i used ...

env LIBS="-lcgi -lm" CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/libart-2.0" CFLAGS="-O3 -fPIC" ./configure --disable-shared --prefix=/usr/local

(and obviously 'make' and 'make install')

env CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/include/freetype2" LIBS="-lcgi -lm" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib" CFLAGS="-O3 -fPIC" ./configure --disable-shared --prefix=/usr/local

(ditto)

and when i configure rrdtools:

set BUILD_DIR=/tmp/rrdbuild
set INSTALL_DIR=/usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.9
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/rrdtool-1.2.9

get the following (edited) output ...

-------------------------------output-------------------------------------
<snip>
* I could not find a working copy of libart-2.0. Check config.log for hints on why
  this is the case. Maybe you need to set LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS appropriately
  so that compiler and the linker can find libart_lgpl_2 and its header files. If
  you have not installed libart-2.0, you can get it either from its original home on

     ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/libart_lgpl/2.3/

  You can find also find an archive copy on

     http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/pub/libs

  The last tested version of libart-2.0 is 2.3.17.

       LIBS=-lcgi -lm
   LDFLAGS=
  CPPFLAGS= -I/usr/include/libart-2.0

<snip>
* I could not find a working copy of freetype2. Check config.log for hints on why
  this is the case. Maybe you need to set LDFLAGS and CPPFLAGS appropriately
  so that compiler and the linker can find libfreetype and its header files. If
  you have not installed freetype2, you can get it either from its original home on

     http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/freetype/

  You can find also find an archive copy on

     http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/pub/libs

  The last tested version of freetype2 is 2.1.9.

       LIBS=-lpng -lz -lcgi -lm
   LDFLAGS=
  CPPFLAGS= -I/usr/include/freetype2

configure: error: Please fix the library issues listed above and try again.
-------------------------------EOoutput-----------------------------------

it looks as though it should work ... but i'm not really used
to building software like this!

regards,

peter ryall.

Security Statement

The information contained in this electronic mail message is
privileged and confidential, and is intended only for use of
the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, reproduction, distribution
or other use of this communication is strictly prohibited.
Confidentiality and legal privilege attached to this communication
are not waived or lost by reason of mistaken delivery to you.
the sender by reply transmission and delete the message without
copying or disclosing it.

Disclaimer

Any views expressed in this communication are those of the
individual sender, except where the sender specifically states them
to be the view of NSW Businesslink Pty. Ltd.  Except as required by
law, NSW Businesslink Pty. Ltd. does not represent, warrant and/or
guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been
maintained nor that the communication is free of errors, virus,
interception, inference or interference.