[rrd-users] Re: problems installing rrd ...

Hugo van der Kooij hvdkooij at vanderkooij.org
Thu Jun 9 07:48:54 MEST 2005

On Thu, 9 Jun 2005, Peter Ryall wrote:

> i reckon i can field this ... (but feel free to correct me!)
>
> part of the beauty of rrdtool is that ANYONE can use/install it.
>
> thus the problem with a solaris package is twofold:
>
> a) it installs into a particular place (usually) system defaulty
> kinds of places, which aren't changeable, except by editing the
> (text part of the) package, which kind of defeats the purpose;

I think you will find plenty of admins who would like to see a current
rrdtool added to the free solaris packages (as one may find them on
http://www.sunfreeware.com/ for example).

> b) relies on certain non-open (closed?) source programs, which
> parts of rrd have been designed arround.

There is plenty of packaged freeware around as you may see on the site
above.

Come to think of it last time I needed a Solaris package it was build in
something like 48 hours by Steve.

Perhaps he will build a newer rrdtool version as well. (Based on 1.2.x)

Hugo.