[rrd-users] Re: Accessing data from a certain time period only

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Jun 30 18:56:38 MEST 2005

On Thu, Jun 30, 2005 at 09:27:28AM -0600, Adam Bayless wrote:

> We have some customers on a sort of weird billing model. They are only
> billed based on traffic that they used between 8am and 11pm, so I am
> wondering if I can generate a report of this traffic using rrdtool by
> itself. What I need would be similar to the PERCENT VDEF method, but
> something like this:
>
> VDEF:billable=mydata,a,b,WINDOW
> where 'billable' is an average of the data points between a and b hours

Between a and b:  all intervals starting at or after a, and ending at or
before b.

Intervals are defined by their end-time and their duration.  You need
intervals of at most one hour in duration.

Do _not_ include the interval ending at 08:00am as this defines the
period _before_ 08:00 !

Amount of data is average rate multiplied by time.

If you want to be accurate, you need to substitute zero for any "NaN".

You need to combine several techniques from the tutorials and documentation
but there's nothing really difficult.

Alternatively: hire a consultant.

Alex