[rrd-users] Re: RRD Database Combining

DANIEL MAGNUSZEWSKI dmagnuszewski at mandtbank.com
Thu Mar 24 16:01:42 MET 2005

It sounds like you should write a script that will create a new RRD if
it doesn't exist, then get data from DS0 on rrd1 and DS1 on rrd2 (for
example) and have it update your new database. Set this up as a cron
job, and run it every 5 minutes (or whatever your desired interval is).

Are you proficient at manipulating RRDs with scripts? Let me know.

Daniel Magnuszewski
CCNA
M & T Bank
dmagnuszewski at mandtbank.com

>>> "Thomas Beecher" <tbeecher at localnet.com> 03/23/05 12:51 PM >>>
That would work for generating the graph using RRD, but I'm trying to
create a 3rd RRD database that only holds a single DS.

Ex:
device1.rrd
  	DS0	DS1	DS2
Val at T1	0	10	0
Val at T2	0	10	0
Val at T3	0	10	0

device2.rrd
	DS0
Val at T1	5
Val at T2	10
Val at T3	15

total.rrd
	DS0
Val at T1	15
Val at T2	20
Val at T3	25

I would then be able to run total.rrd through my existing Cricket CGIs

to do the actual graph creation in the formats that I need.

The problem isn't creation of the graphs, it's getting values from 2
different rrd files combined into one.

Thomas Beecher II
Network Administrator
LocalNet, Inc

MrPaulAR wrote:
> Something like this?
>
> "DEF:device1=device1.rrd:ds0:AVERAGE",
> "DEF:devicd2=device2.rrd:ds1:AVERAGE",
> "CDEF:total=device1,device2,+",
>
> Paul
>
> On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 11:12:01 -0500, Thomas Beecher
> <tbeecher at localnet.com> wrote:
>
>>Our organization currently uses the Cricket package to graph modem
usage
>>across all of out dial in POPs. Cricket is storing the polled data
in
>>standard RRD databases, and uses it's own CGIs to generate the
graphs.

>>Most POPs have multiple pieces of dial-in equipment, so we need to
have
>>totals on one graph. For most areas this is not a problem, as
Cricket
>>has a function to sum data from all defined targets and display that
graph.

>>We run into an issue when we have two different pieces of equipment
in
>>the same POP. One type creates 3 data sources and 3 entries per
polling
>>interval in the RRD database. The other creates one one DS, 1 entry.
We