[rrd-users] Re: rrdcgi - Please help

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Wed May 4 12:34:05 MEST 2005

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 10:30:23AM +0100, Paulo Jorge Oliveira wrote:

> > Hi,
> > I'm using one of the examples of the rrdcgi manual (I'm trying to
> > learn something). Everything seems to work well. The graph is
> > generated. But I'm not able to see it on my browser (appears the red X
>
> > icon). Can anyone help me on this?
>
> >>If you tried it once before it worked you should clear out your
> browser cache. IE (is anyone else using these odd icons >>;-) is a pain
> at is caches a lot of information in a odd way.
>
> >>Just for fun try another browser (firefox).
>
> It really never worked. I don't know if this is the problem. But the
> graphs generated by rrdcgi have owner:group like nobody:nobody and the
> apache server runs as user root:other.
> Apache probably should'n be installed and run as root? Should it?

First of all: the graph _is_ generated (see above).

Apache usually is started by root and changes privileges
to another user/group combination. This combination needs
to be able to access the content.

If the images are created in a directory where apache has no
access, then apache cannot deliver them to the browser.

If the images are created in a directory where apache doesn't
look for them (or vice versa) then apache cannot find them
and thus cannot deliver them to the browser.

If the images are created with very restrictive permissions
then apache cannot read them thus not deliver them to the browser.

Last but not least, recent linux distributions are security
enhanced.  If you didn't tell the OS it is alright for the
webserver to access a file, the file cannot be read despite
its "old-style" permissions (which could be wide open for all).

The reason for not being able to display this graph should be
in the logs.  Without them, it is just a guessing game.

Alex