[rrd-users] Re: STACK problem with AREA graph

Jay Ford jay-ford at uiowa.edu
Thu May 5 19:48:14 MEST 2005

On Thu, 5 May 2005, David Lloyd wrote:
> this is about rrdtool-1.2.1.
>
> If an AREA is the first, or only thing to be drawn on a graph I get a
> segmentation fault.
>
> eg with a LINE1 or LINE2 graph STACK works ok:
>
> $ rrdtool graph line.png -s -6hour DEF:ccf=ccf.rrd:tally:AVERAGE
> LINE1:ccf#aa00aa:ccf:STACK
> 496x168
>
> but the same with an AREA give a seg fault:
>
> $ rrdtool graph area.png -s -6hour DEF:ccf=ccf.rrd:tally:AVERAGE
> AREA:ccf#aa00aa:ccf:STACK
> Segmentation fault

That syntax is bogus.  You do one of:
   LINE{1|2|3}:vname[#rrggbb[:legend]]
   AREA:vname[#rrggbb[:legend]]
   STACK:vname[#rrggbb[:legend]]
There is no case where you append "STACK" to a LINE or AREA.

> I'm assuming you can use STACK on the first thing to be drawn, and it will
> stack the data over the x-axis, so that you don't have to make a special
> case for the first area.

The rrdgraph man page says:
   STACK:vname[#rrggbb[:legend]]
     Does the same as LINE?, but the graph gets stacked on top of the
     previous LINE?, AREA or STACK graph. Depending on the type of the
     previous graph, the STACK will be either a LINE? or an AREA.  This
     obviously implies that the first STACK must be preceded by an AREA or
     LINE? -- you need something to stack some­ thing onto in the first place
     ;)
So, you do need something before the first STACK.