[rrd-users] Re: AW: rrdtool 1.2.9

Einar Indridason einari at f-prot.com
Mon May 30 19:45:43 MEST 2005

On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 07:06:18AM +0200, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:
> On Mon, May 30, 2005 at 06:55:22AM +0200, Stern Andreas wrote:
>
> > needing long field names (31 Characters instead of 19).
> >
> > would the following be enough or did I miss something important?
>
> [snip: changing DS size to 31 chars]
>
> I think this may make rrdtool incompatible with earlier versions.
> Try to read a database with your modified rrdtool program; chances
> are you can't.

Ah, yes... something that has been floating around my head ever since I
heard about version 1.2.X of rrdtools.  A *.rrd file is a binary file, in
the sense, that if I edit it with
vi(m)/emacs/joe/jed/nano/pico/what-have-you, I only get a binary
"garbage" back.

Now the question:
	Is it guaranteed that a *.rrd file is portable between:
		a) platforms  (x86, solaris, hp-ux, mac, 32bit, 64
		bit...)

		b) different versions of rrd?  1.0.X versus 1.2.X ?

Cheers, and thanks for a great program Tobi and the rest.

--
EinarI