[rrd-users] Re: AW: rrdtool 1.2.9

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Tue May 31 08:00:16 MEST 2005

Yesterday Einar Indridason wrote:

> Ah, yes... something that has been floating around my head ever since I
> heard about version 1.2.X of rrdtools.  A *.rrd file is a binary file, in
> the sense, that if I edit it with
> vi(m)/emacs/joe/jed/nano/pico/what-have-you, I only get a binary
> "garbage" back.
>
> Now the question:
> 	Is it guaranteed that a *.rrd file is portable between:
> 		a) platforms  (x86, solaris, hp-ux, mac, 32bit, 64
> 		bit...)

the rrd format is platform specific ... you can use rrdtool dump
when going from one platform to another ...

> 		b) different versions of rrd?  1.0.X versus 1.2.X ?

rrdtool can work with old rrd files from the same platform ...

cheers
tobi

> Cheers, and thanks for a great program Tobi and the rest.
>
> --
> EinarI
>
> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETL F24.2, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/oetiker +41(0)44-632-5286