[rrd-users] RRDTOOL questions

Travis cbrbike at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 20:26:50 MET 2005

Hello ,
   I'm new to RRDTool and am currently still using MRTG for monitoring our
network links. I've read through the documentation for RRDTool and have
followed the examples that are given. Please forgive me for being such a
newbie at this but I am now at a loss. My goal is to just use RRDTool for a
little more advanced graphing than what we currently have with MRTG. Here is
an example of what I'm trying to graph. We have a Cisco Router in which I
want to gather the IfInoctets and IfOutoctets and then graph it.
So first, I create a RRD using the create option like this. .

linux]# rrdtool create router1.rrd DS:input:COUNTER:600:U:U
DS:output:COUNTER:600:U:U RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:600                 RRA:AVERAGE:
0.5:6:700                 RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:775                RRA:AVERAGE:
0.5:288:797               RRA:MAX:0.5:1:600
RRA:MAX:0.5:6:700
RRA:MAX:0.5:24:775                    RRA:MAX:0.5:288:797

Next, I've written a simple shell script that collects these IfInOctets and
Outoctet values and dumps to a file every five minutes. No problems there.
The text files fills with the counter values that I want for the Interfaces
I want.

WIthin this script are the update to the RRD as well as the graphing, so
that this is done automatically. here is the script. . .

#!/bin/bash
X=0
while [ $X -le 20 ]
do
snmpget -v2c -c passwd  IP  1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.10.10 >>
/share/rrdtool/examples /ethernet_data_in_
sleep 5
snmpget -v2c -c passwd  IP  1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.16.10 >>
/share/rrdtool/examples/ethernet_data_out_
sleep 5
rrdtool update router1.rrd N:$IN:$OUT
sleep 5
rrdtool graph router1-day.png -s -86400 -t "Router 1 Ethernet Interface
Traffic" DEF:inoctets=border1.rrd:input:AVERAGE DEF:outoctets=
border1.rrd:output:AVERAGE AREA:outoctets\#00FF00:"Out Traffic"
LINE2:inoctets\#0000FF:"In Traffic"
sleep 300
done

Now, when I pull up the graph in my browser, I get a single blue line that
runs across the bottom of the graph which tells me it's at zero. This isn't
correct as I know there is traffic going over these links.
Anyway, that is where I am lost. I am sure that I'm missing something but
I've went through and read the docs and tried the examples again and still
can't find what it is that I'm missing. Can anyone shed some light on this
for me or atleast point me in the right direction, even if it's to a certain
part of the docs. Thanks in advance.

 --
~Travis ;-)

--