[rrd-users] Install inconsistency

Alex Moen alexm at ndtel.com
Wed Nov 30 17:31:36 MET 2005

Hello all,

We've been using rrdtool for a couple of years now in our MRTG graphs.  At
some point, I upgraded from rrdtool 1.0.45 to 1.2.11.

Yesterday, we experienced a spanning tree loop which caused a large spike in
our graphs.  I decided to attempt to remove the spikes this morning, using a
couple of tools (killspike.pl and removespikes.pl).  I experienced a couple
of problems:

Killspike.pl: after restoring the database from the xml file and rerun mrtg
against the .cfg file, I get the error: "ERROR: Cannot tune logfile: can't
handle RRD file version 0003".

Removespikes.pl: Unable to execute the rrdtool restore on
66.163.128.59_63.rrd - Inappropriate ioctl for device -

Hmm, I think.  Something is fishy here.  So, taking a hint from the mrtg doc
(mrtg-rrd.txt), I start checking my RRDp.pm.  Lo and behold, the version in
my perl directories is different than the version in my rrdtool 1.2.11 build
tree.  So, I save the old version and replace it with the new version.  This
totally breaks MRTG's ability to process rrd files.  I get the error "RRDs
object version 1.000451 does not match bootstrap parameter 1.2011 at
/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i686-linux//DynaLoader.pm line 249."

So, finally, I replaced the RRDs.pm with the original one, and mrtg is back
up and running.

I know that I followed the rrdbuild.txt, as all of the other required
libraries are downloaded, uncompressed, untarred, and installed in the
parent directory...

Also, if I use the rrdtool executable from 1.0.45, I notice that the
<version></version> tag in the dump file is 0001, while the version in the
pathed rrdtool is 0003.

I guess my question is twofold:
	a. Is my perl module incorrect?
	b. If so, how do I fix this situation?

Thanks for any help anyone can give... I am totally lost at this point.

Alex