[rrd-users] Re: Randomly blocky graphs

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sat Oct 8 03:20:07 MEST 2005

On Sat, Oct 08, 2005 at 01:51:34AM +0100, Steven Hartland wrote:

> Caught it doing it again tonight tried '--end now-300 --start end-10800'
> still the same:
> http://gaming.multiplay.co.uk/stats/players_day.png

The debug file shows:
"We found:    start 1128645600 end 1128732300 step   300 rows  289"
indicating that the proper RRA is selected.  So this is, indeed, not
the problem.

Are you sure that the data itself is not the problem?

For further debugging, it would be nice to know what time 'end' is.
Please use a variable outside rrdtool containing time, use that
in stead of "now".  Also display it as a comment or in the title.
Something like --end $endtime --start end-10800
--title "Server / Player totals  at $time".
Of course, if you can use the existing time comment, that's fine.

When the problem occurs again, repeat the exact command to create
another graph.  If both start and end time are the same, the remaining
variable is the age of your database and/or its content.

If the problem does occur again, it is something weird in the program.
In that case, you could copy the database and we have a way to reproduce
this problem.

If the problem does not occur again, this is still useful information.

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/