[rrd-users] Re: worked yesterday, errored today?

D. Walsh info at daleenterprise.com
Fri Oct 21 22:07:32 MEST 2005

On Oct 21, 2005, at 12:34 , Eric J. Bowser wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a perl script that has been updating to rrdb's and generating
> graphs since June.  There have been no changes I know of, yet this
> morning I started getting this error from cron daemon:
>
> *** attempt to put segment in horiz list twice

 From a brief look, your variables aren't clean, suffers perl bugs.

The use of the "free" command isn't a proper method of obtaining
information, moving to sysctl is a recommended solution.

Hard-coding paths in a perl script is also not a recommended method,
moving such variables to a config file is the recommended approach.

You're script doesn't take into account runs for the first time where
no .rrd files exists, because of globals it should be run strict and
there is a concern in the method to which you update the rrd's
without validating or substantiate any of the data.

Running your script through a simple perl script analyzer shows the
taint bug has fun with some of the variables and this should be
addressed.

> Attached is a copy of my perl script; does anybody have any ideas?
>
> Thank you very much!
>

> -- Attached file removed by Ecartis and put at URL below --
> -- Type: application/x-perl
> -- Size: 3k (3272 bytes)

I've taken over the amavis-stats (an amavisd-new companion) project
that Mark Lawrence has discarded because it seems to be better suited
to e-mail statistic log scanning.

I've done a couple of complete rewrites, the latest was to daemonize
the entire process and the rrd routines are sound and solid, you may
wish to examine these functions and you might wish to consider this
approach with your script.

If you want some help with it I might be able to muster up some time
to help you work it out but you would need to commit time to work out
some basic function that would provide better use of resources.

> -- Attached file removed by Ecartis and put at URL below --
> -- Type: application/pgp-signature
> -- Desc: This is a digitally signed message part
> -- Size: 190 bytes

SEE: (for live examples)
http://heard.com.au/amavis-stats
http://uawebhost.com/amavis-stats