[rrd-users] Re: Compiling Problems

D. Walsh info at daleenterprise.com
Mon Oct 24 02:40:43 MEST 2005

On Oct 23, 2005, at 16:06 , Kevin Gordon wrote:

> Im new to RRDTools and am having problems compiling this application
> (Im a pretty big novice when it comes to compiling)

It's not you, I went through the configure.ac file and noticed that
none of the required libraries are import dynamically, that is to
say, Tobi doesn't search for the location of the libraries and his
strict use of pkg-config leaves a lot to be desired.

An alternative is to disable rrdcgi in the build process (--disable-
rrdcgi) which you probably wont be using in most cases.

I can build the mainstream 1.2.6 with rrdcgi but 1.2.11 fails and
1.2.11 doesn't like gcc 4.0.

I've reverted back to building the main stream rrdtool 1.2.6 which
builds OK on Darwin and Mac OSX with a long configure line and then I
modified his build code to actually search for the libraries and add
them with path along with the required include directories and it
seems to work much better this way (I mean, it builds with less user
headaches and you don't have to specify all that LIB/LDFLAGS/CPPFLAGS
stuff).

I made a dist of the modified files, moved it to my gentoo box and it
compiled there with no problems so all I can say is if you don't know
enough to modify the building process then add the libs and paths to
your configure statement.

Ex. (I built the required libraries in /usr/local so my command looks
like)
  ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/rrdtool --mandir=/usr/local/man
LIBS="-lfreetype -lpng -lz -lm" LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib"
CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include/freetype2"

I could go on bashing the inconsistencies in his code but it makes
little sense since they are mostly dismissed due to attitude and now
I make a comment or two when something isn't working properly which
also never seems to be resolved so while I am dependent on the
software, I'll continue to use whatever version I can that provided
the least amount of installation problems to achieve the intended goal

Example, a program written to make use of the librrd doesn't build
properly because the rrd_graph function API has changed without
providing any backwards compatibility and every prorgammer I've
spoken too about this type of API changes consider this form of
advancement to be a hack at best which forces other programmers who
depend on rrdtool to be stuck with using a particular version of
rrdtool because of the API incompatabilities.

Another example, the reported versions from RRDs.pm and RRDp.pm shows
the version is 1.2006 which equates too 1.200.006 because the
breakdown is decoded as "MAJOR_VER.MINOR_VER.REV_LEVEL", I think it
should have been 1.002006 but why split hairs over something that's
this trivial.