[rrd-users] Re: newlines in labels for major grid lines?

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Oct 25 05:35:04 MEST 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 08:57:53PM -0500, christian smyth wrote:

> Is there any way to put newlines in the labels for major grid lines?  I
> have tried \n and \\n and \\\n and none of it seems to work.  I have
> looked through the doc and this does not seem to be addressed.

The docs do not say it can be done.  You should assume it cannot be done.
If the docs would describe everything that is not possible, you'd need
an extra hard drive :)

> Basically, the reason I want to do this is to, say, have the date
> (mm/dd) and the day (Sun-Sat) on major grid lines.  Currently, when I
> have a bunch of grid lines on a fairly narrow graph, the grid line
> labels run together.  Newlines would fix the situation, as would the
> ability to rotate text 90 degrees, or "stagger" the labels (like this):
>
> mon wed fri sun tue thu sat
>   tue thu sat mon wed fri sun
>
> Anyone have any tips?

Yeah... join the developers team and start coding :)

Alternatively, make use of the existing options:

--x-grid GTM:GST:MTM:MST:LTM:LST:LPR:LFM

LTM:LST defines how much time is between each label.  You could get
> mon wed fri sun tue thu sat
without
>   tue thu sat mon wed fri sun
already if you specified "2" in stead of "1" for LST.

This would need to be: --x-grid HOUR:8:DAY:1:DAY:2:86400:%a
or something alike (from memory, not tested)

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/