[rrd-users] Re: stuck building RRD

Craig Packard cpackard at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 20:57:21 MEST 2005

On 10/25/05, Roth, Gabrielle <gabrielle.roth at xo.com> wrote:
<snip>
If you were measuring the total number of tickets that go through the
> help desk, which will only increase, you'd use the counter datatype. To
> measure the current number of open tickets, which may increase or
> decrease, (we hope it decreases!), use the gauge datatype.

</snip>

Thanks for all the help. I'm now using the gauge, and getting somewhere.
Here is my RRD:

!Build table to store ticket opens in last 5 minutes and
c:\py\rrdtool create TicketOandC.rrd --start N --step 300
DS:NonClosed:GAUGE:300:0:5000
DS:Closed:GAUGE:300:0:5000
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:288 !1 Day of Actuals
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:48:186 !31 Days of 4Hr Averages
RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:365 !1 Yr or 1Day Averages

This seems to be close. But now I get odd breaks in the graph every so
often. I want the line from each datapoint (correct term?) to be connected
to the next. To draw a constant line across the graph. I'm guess that these
breaks mean for some reason every now-and-then I'm not getting a result
pushed into the RRD file so the unknown is 'drawn' as a blank? How do I
avoid that? Should I change the 0.5 to 0.1? But the 1 Days of actuals line
only takes one data point so the 0.5 thing is pointless? I did have the DS
as 300:0:U but changed it incase that was doing something screwy.

Here is how I build my chart:

!build 5min avg X 1 day chart
c:\py\rrdtool graph hddaily.png --start N-200000
--title "5 Minute Ticket Open & Close Rates"
DEF:NonClosed=TicketOandC.rrd:NonClosed:AVERAGE
DEF:Closed=TicketOandC.rrd:Closed:AVERAGE
LINE1:NonClosed#1122B3:NonClosed
LINE1:Closed#FF00CC:Closed
GPRINT:NonClosed:LAST:"NonClosed Last\:%8.0lf"
GPRINT:Closed:LAST:"Closed Last\:%8.0lf\j"

Thanks again for all the help!