[rrd-users] Re: starting with rrd

Mark Duling mark.duling at biola.edu
Thu Sep 1 20:06:40 MEST 2005

Sérgio Lopes <sergiol at ipp.pt> on Thursday, September 1, 2005 at 3:45 AM
-0800 wrote:
>I'm completely new to rrd and I'd appreciate some help here. I've read
>some short tutorials but they didn't really help me...
>In our organization, we log the usage of our wireless network
>(successful logins, bandwidth use, etc) in a mysql database and we want
>to store those values in a rrd..
>So, for instance, if I want to store the number of successful logins
>initiated in each 5 minute period and pull out some graphs of daily,
>monthly or yearly use how should I:
>* setup the rrd, i. e., what rrdtool command should I build
>* create the daily, weekly, whatever usage graphs

Sergio,

I'd use an RRDtool front-end that manipulates RRDTool automatically for
you.  These front-ends are made to graph network devices and provide 4-hr,
day, week, month, and year graphs automatically, using RRDtool to do it.
That way all you need to do is supply SNMP info about your network gear.
I like NRG (http://nrg.hep.wisc.edu/); some like Cacti
(http://www.cacti.net/).

Regards,

Mark