[rrd-users] Re: rrdtool graph slow on some columns

christian smyth clsmyth at fuzzy-elves.org
Fri Sep 23 00:20:12 MEST 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-22 at 04:20 +0200, Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

> However, the following did work:
> "CDEF:val2=val1,1024,1024,*,/,FLOOR"
> About 0.6 to 0.65 seconds is not bad, certainly not when compared to 12.

> Christian, please try that yourself.  Of course you need to graph val2, not val1.
> You could save some extra cpu cycles by changing "1024,1024,*" into 1048576 or
> 1024000 (whichever is appropriate for you).
>
> Tobi, seems to me a function such as apply_gridfit() may be the cause?

Alex,

Far out; I get the same results you do, using my old version of rrdtool!
Graphing val2 from your CDEF works much better than graphing val1 from
the DEF.  It runs in virtually the same length of time as does a graph
of one of the "fast" columns.  This seems to be a fine workaround, once
I adjust my Y-axis label.  I like graphing in MB (maybe even GB) better
than graphing in KB anyway.  Thanks!!!

Tobi,

What is your take on this?

--