[rrd-users] Re: rrdgraph issue

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Mon Apr 10 13:58:40 MEST 2006

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 11:23:26AM +0200, Andrea Russos wrote:

> Hi Alex, thanks for yuor answer.....I think probably my problem is
> related to the type of DS i used: maybe GAUGE is not appropriate for the
> values i'm collecting from the Ldap server; i think COUNTER fits better:
> i'll try to change.

That's exactly what I was trying to say.

> First of all i'll take a look at your DOCs.....
> By the way i have another begginner question: reading some examples on
> graphing i cannot understand some parameters used in the GPRINT statement:
> As an example i point my attention to a GPRINT statement used to graph
> the total amount of bits passed trow an ethernet link
>
>    *.......................*
>    *GPRINT:totBits:AVERAGE:" Avg  \\: %8.2lf %s\\n"
>    *
>
> what does it mean the *%8.2lf* parameter ???

Eight positions, two of them right of the separator.  Example:

(Make sure to read this in a fixed-width font)

12345.67
  123.45
    1.00

--------  8 positions
     -    separator (not necessarily a point; there's life outside the USA !)
      --  2 positions

(end of "Make sure to read this in a fixed-width font")

rrdtool does NOT have the exact implementation but nevertheless
you may want to google for "man printf"

> I looked at the man page of rrdgraph and i see that in the _format_
> string there could be a *lf*, a *lg* or a *le* marker in the place
> "where the number should be printed"....
> It's not so clear for me the meaning of these markers and, in the above
> example, the meaning of the *%8.2lf*.

part of the manual:

          For printing values:

           *   %% just prints a literal ’%’ character

           *   %#.#le prints numbers like 1.2346e+04. The optional integers #
               denote field width and decimal precision.

           *   %#.#lf prints numbers like 12345.6789, with optional field
               width and precision.

1.2346e+04 means 1.2346 times 10 to the power 4, or 1.2346 times 10000
which is (almost) the same as 12345.6789 (but rounded)

> Any help is welcome, thanks in advance,

It seems to me the information you need __is__ in the manual.  What is
the problem: did you not read it or did you not understand it?

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/