[rrd-users] Re: rrdgraph issue

Andrea Russos arussos at comune.modena.it
Mon Apr 10 11:23:26 MEST 2006

Alex van den Bogaerdt wrote:

>On Sun, Apr 09, 2006 at 10:06:01PM +0200, arussos at comune.modena.it wrote:
>

>>the stats i want to collect ) obtaining values like:
>>UCD-SNMP-MIB::extOutput.1 = STRING: 66088
>>UCD-SNMP-MIB::extOutput.2 = STRING: 85299
>>UCD-SNMP-MIB::extOutput.3 = STRING: 166
>>

>This tells nothing about the type of counter.  Not that it matters,
>you have to show yourself, not us, how it works.
>
>The documentation talks about different counter types and when to
>use them.  My site also has some information, trying to explain it
>in a different way.  If parts of it are too difficult to understand,
>ask here what you didn't get.  Don't copy the document; tell in your
>own words what's hard.  Or perhaps that isn't necessary after all,
>perhaps the quarter drops and you see the light when you try again.

Hi Alex, thanks for yuor answer.....I think probably my problem is
related to the type of DS i used: maybe GAUGE is not appropriate for the
values i'm collecting from the Ldap server; i think COUNTER fits better:
i'll try to change.
First of all i'll take a look at your DOCs.....
By the way i have another begginner question: reading some examples on
graphing i cannot understand some parameters used in the GPRINT statement:
As an example i point my attention to a GPRINT statement used to graph
the total amount of bits passed trow an ethernet link

    *.......................*
    *GPRINT:totBits:AVERAGE:" Avg  \\: %8.2lf %s\\n"
    *

what does it mean the *%8.2lf* parameter ???

I looked at the man page of rrdgraph and i see that in the _format_
string there could be a *lf*, a *lg* or a *le* marker in the place
"where the number should be printed"....
It's not so clear for me the meaning of these markers and, in the above
example, the meaning of the *%8.2lf*.

Any help is welcome, thanks in advance,

--Andrea