[rrd-users] Re: RRDTool:OO question

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sun Apr 30 03:23:23 MEST 2006

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 11:39:33AM -0700, William Yardley wrote:

> I got a test update from Mike which seems to have done the trick.

Quick response I'd say.  Nice work.

> If I insert a literal space into a certain string, it seems to screw up
> the overall spacing, even though I have tabs after it. However, if I try

I'm not sure if tabs are supposed/guarantied to work.

> If I put in a comment with a single space, RRDTool seems to put in more
> than one space.  Is there an easy way to embed a single space? And
> shouldn't I not have to worry about the single space since I'm using
> tabs?

Try without tabs, using only spaces to line up your legend.

> Also: is there any way to put a single space *after* a string but still
> avoid the extra spaces that are there if I don't put \g?

Only spaces are stripped ***___in_the_current_version_of_rrdtool___***
so using hard spaces ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_space ) will
probably work.

> but \g strips out any whitespace at all. So is there a way to supress
> those extra spaces without also ignoring all whitespace within a string?

Does it really?  I think \g works from right to left and stops as soon
as it does not find spaces anymore?  This would mean spaces within a
string should survive.  Can you create an example?

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/