[rrd-users] RRD error - min must be less than max in DS definition

Steffen.Pelzetter at nexans.com Steffen.Pelzetter at nexans.com
Wed Aug 9 13:28:46 MEST 2006

Hello,
I use rrd on my debain 3.1 sarge alpha port to run hobbit monitor.
The installed version  1.2.10.

All was running I don't now exactly when, but I've changed the kernel to
2.6.8
and installed some security updates and the rrd graphs stop working.

Therefore I had a look into the log- files rrd-status and rrd-data log.

These lines are logged repeatly:

in must be less than max in DS definition
2006-08-09 13:20:45 RRD error creating
/usr/local/hobbit/data/rrd/wva-sv0012/disk,T.rrd: min must be less than
max in DS definition
2006-08-09 13:20:45 RRD error creating
/usr/local/hobbit/data/rrd/wva-sv0012/disk,U.rrd: min must be less than
max in DS definition
2006-08-09 13:20:45 RRD error creating
/usr/local/hobbit/data/rrd/wva-sv0012/disk,V.rrd: min must be less than
max in DS definition
2006-08-09 13:20:45 RRD error creating
/usr/local/hobbit/data/rrd/wva-sv0012/disk,W.rrd: min must be less than
max in DS definition
2006-08-09 13:20:45 RRD error creating
/usr/local/hobbit/data/rrd/wva-sv0012/disk,X.rrd: min must be less than
max in DS definition

for every datasource I've installed.

I've reported the problem to hobbit. They ask me to put --debug on and use
data in the debug log to maually
run rrdtool from command line.

Here is the result:

./rrdtool create /tmp/tcp.orarns.tcp 'DS:sec:GAUGE:600:0:U'
'RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:576'
ERROR: min must be less than max in DS definition

Next I've tried to re- compile and install rrd.

If I try to ./configure I get an error- message:

IEEE Math Checks
checking for fpclassify... no
checking for fpclassify with <math.h>... yes
checking for finite... yes
checking for isinf... yes
checking if IEEE math works out of the box... not isnan(NaN) ... no
checking if IEEE math works with the -ieee switch... no
checking if IEEE math works with the -qfloat=nofold switch... not
isnan(NaN) ... no
checking if IEEE math works with the -w -qflttrap=enable:zerodivide... not
isnan(NaN) ...no
checking if IEEE math works with the -mieee switch... not isnan(NaN) ...
no
checking if IEEE math works with the -q float=rndsngl switch... no
checking if IEEE math works with the -OPT:IEEE_NaN_inf=ON switch... no
checking if IEEE math works with the -OPT:IEEE_comparisons=ON switch... no
checking if IEEE math works with fpsetmask(0)... no
checking if IEEE math works with signal(SIGFPE,SIG_IGN)... not isnan(NaN)
... no
configure: error:
Your Compiler does not do propper IEEE math ... Please find out how to
make IEEE math work with your compiler and let me know (tobi at oetiker.ch).
Check config.log to see what went wrong ...

I've used gcc 4.1.1 and I don't understand the problem because gcc accepts
the -mieee switch:

What can I do?