[rrd-users] Changing the number of data sources in rrd files?

Daniel Tepas daniel at the-temple.de
Wed Aug 23 15:39:18 MEST 2006

Hi there,

I am monitoring several values of several virtual servers, f.ex. the load
or the process count, and store them in different rrd files.

So I created the rrd files, f.ex. vserver-load.rrd, with one data source
for the www, one for the mail and so on. Now I want to add a new vserver,
and I don't know how to change the rrd file.

rrdtool dump vserver-load.rrd > vserver-load.xml creates a xml-dump, but I
cannot add a new data source here.

Is there a way to split a rrd file, in my example create a www-load.rrd,
mail-load.rrd and so on, without loosing the collected data? Or to add a
new data source to an existing rrd file?

I know, it would habe been more clever to create one rrd file per virtual
server with data sources for load, process count, memory consumption, but
it's too late now ;-)

Thanks, Daniel